Cougars Wrap Up Road Trip With A 2-1 Win In Kennewick.

Sunday night Kennewick, WA the Prince George Cougars earned a hard-fought 2-1 victory over the Tri-City Americans. Cougars captain Troy Bourke scored both goals while Marc McNulty added two assists. Ty Edmonds made his first career WHL start and turned aside 21 of the 22 shots he faced for the victory.

After killing off an early penalty, the Prince George Cougars seemed to find some early momentum. They tested Ams goaltender Eric Comrie early, but were unable to find the back of the net.

Mid-way through the first, the Cougars went to their first power play when Lucas Nickles went off for slashing. Moments later they found pay dirt when Marc McNulty’s shot from the right point deflected in to the net off of Troy Bourke. It was the first power play goal of the season for the Cougars.

Following the Bourke goal, the Cougars kept pouring it on, but Eric Comrie stood tall and made several key saves for Tri-City to keep the game close. The Cougars outshot the Ams 13-7 in the first period.

Tri-City got into some penalty trouble in the second period, but were able to weather the storm due in large part to the play of Comrie. Mid-way through the second, Ams forward Jesse Astles squared off with Jari Erricson in a fight that lasted close to a minute before the players were separated.

Late in the second the Cougars were given a 40-second five-on-three and once again the Cougars captain rose to the occasion. Troy Bourke fired a shot from the right point that deflected in off of Eric Comrie’s goal stick and the Cougars took a 2-0 lead into the second intermission. Marc McNulty and Chase Witala assisted on the goal.

Tri-City started the third period on the power play but were unable to capitalize on their opportunity. The Cougars defense-corps blocked some shots, and Ty Edmonds was there when called upon to keep the game at 2-0.

At the other end, Eric Comrie was equally sharp making some timely saves

At 13:55 of the third, Tri-City finally solved Ty Edmonds and they did so while shorthanded. Beau McCue stole the puck off a failed clearing attempt and fired a low shot past Ty Edmonds for his second goal of the season.

In the final minutes, Tri-City pulled their goaltender and drew a penalty to give them a six-on-four advantage, but the Cougars were able to withstand the final attack and hold on for their first victory of the 2013-2014 season.

Prince George killed off all three of Tri-City’s power play chances and finished two-for-eight on their opportunities. They outshot the Ams 29-21.

With the victory, the Cougars improve their record 1-2, and wrap up their three-game US road trip earning two of six possible points.

The Cougars will look to climb back to .500 when they take on the Kamloops Blazers on Friday night, at home at the CN Centre.

More News
Highlights: Cougars (1) at Rockets (4)
1 day ago
Game Recap: Slow start plagues Cougars in loss to Rockets
1 day ago
GAME PREVIEW: Nov. 27th at Kelowna Rockets
2 days ago
GAME DAY: Nov 27th at Kelowna Rockets
2 days ago
Heidt, Singer hit the scoresheet on Day 1 of the Capital City Challenge
2 days ago
Cougars TV: Mic'd up with Taylor Gauthier
4 days ago